SAITAMA, Aug. 15 – The day to remember the end of the World War II came again on August 15. However, in a crop land in Kushibiki region, Fukaya city, Saitama Prefecture, a thick concrete building always sits still to help you recall the war.
The 5-square-meter 10-meter-high 2-story building used to be a gunpowder factory built during the World War II. Both the building and the farmland belong to a local farmer, but he grows nothing there as the land is always shady because of the structure.
During the war, it was, reportedly, part of the No.2 arsenal of the Tokyo army base. It was moved from Tokyo to escape from the air attacks. The building was used to produce gunpowder for about ten months from October 1944 until the end of the war.
After the war, local farmers began growing agricultural products in the nearby farmland, but this building remains. It was once used as a residential house and later as a warehouse, but now it’s left untouched. In Fukaya city, there also remains an old water supply tower that used to supply water to the military factories.