|TOKYO, Aug. 19 – Toru Yamano, chairman of the JA Kagoshima Prefectural Central Association, was appointed as the new and 16th chairman of the Central Union of Agricultural Cooperatives (JA-Zenchu) on August 18 at the union’s ordinary general meeting in Tokyo. At the press conference after the meeting, the 67-year-old newly elected pointed out the importance of having a mechanism for ensuring fair prices to improve food security. He said, “I’ll actively participate in future government studies and discussions.” He also underlined the need for thorough discussions with the cooperative members to self-reform the union.His term is three years and continues until August 2026. At the press conference, Yamano signified a sense of crisis, stating that it’s clear that Japan cannot keep importing food at low prices due to climate change and global population growth.
To enhance food security, he said, “We must foster understanding among parties involved in each stage from production to consumption” and expressed his commitment to promoting “domestic consumption of domestically produced products.” He also pointed out that the key to fair pricing is what kind of systems the country can create through legislation. So, the JA Group needs to get involved in the discussions on the system design, he said.
As for the self-reform of the union, he emphasized the necessity to respond precisely to the needs of its members by taking advantage of its comprehensive business coverage. He insisted that will be possible only when it can build a solid foundation through the dialogue with the association members. So, the JA Group should use digital technology to activate the discussions.
Yamano also expressed his enthusiasm for achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which he says are “extremely compatible” with the cooperatives’ mission. He also stressed the importance of creating a comfortable working environment within the JA Group, securing excellent human resources, and training them.
“Wagyu Olympics” which judges the excellence of branded cattle from all over Japan took place.
Watch and try to unveil the mystery of Japanese Wagyu. English, French and Chinese Subtitles are available (Spoken only in Japanese).
Most Popular(Last 30 days)
- 【News】 Fruit tree science institute releases new apple variety with pink flesh (Jan. 22, 2014) 60 views
- Prices of Shine Muscat grapes dropping this year amid slowing overseas demand 58 views
- Wagyu cut demonstration by 28-year-old Japanese master butcher in long-sleeved kimono fascinating the world 56 views
- Neko-chigura cat cradles becoming increasingly popular among cats and cat lovers in Japan 55 views
- Candy apples contributing to reducing food losses 51 views
- Sennen Akari Festival: 20,000 bamboo lanterns emit warm glow in Hita City, Oita Prefecture 50 views
- Fruit cultivation on small plots in Yamanashi Prefecture nurtures biodiversity 49 views
- One cherry tomato “tree” bearing 40,000 shining fruits at a time in Mihama Town, Fukui Prefecture 45 views
- It’s mysterious circles in Japan! Drone captures circles of trees 43 views
- New vending machines in Tokyo Station offering you nice relaxing experience with tea in chabacco, not tobacco! 37 views