|YAMAGATA, Oct. 14 – The Osho Fruits Farm in Tendo City, Yamagata Prefecture, organized a rakugo Japanese traditional-style comedy show in the middle of the fruit farm during the best harvesting season. One professional rakugo storyteller sat on the platform on the back of a pickup truck and depicted a comical story about La France, a pear that came from France and is known as a western pear in Japan. The Osho Fruits Farm organized two rakugo shows this year and may make them regular local events.
“Pears are scary,” a man in the story said, and others brought pears, pear jam, pear cakes, and such to scare him off. It’ｓ a parody of one of the classical rakugo collections, “Manju Kowai (meaning I’m afraid of buns filled with sweet bean paste).” It was created by Shirapi Tatekawa, a 30-year-old rakugo artist from Yamagata Prefecture. He performed it in a light and witty manner on the platform surrounded by trees heavy with pears and apples, incorporating the history of the pears. The audience enjoyed it very much.
The President of the fruit farm came up with the idea of inviting Shirapi when he heard the performer was a Yamagata native. “By organizing new events, I want more people to become more interested in fruit farms,” he explained. “I hope it’ll make more people more interested in rakugo, as well,” Shirapi said with a smile.
“Wagyu Olympics” which judges the excellence of branded cattle from all over Japan took place.
Watch and try to unveil the mystery of Japanese Wagyu. English, French and Chinese Subtitles are available (Spoken only in Japanese).
Most Popular(Last 30 days)
- 【News】 Fruit tree science institute releases new apple variety with pink flesh (Jan. 22, 2014) 60 views
- Prices of Shine Muscat grapes dropping this year amid slowing overseas demand 58 views
- Wagyu cut demonstration by 28-year-old Japanese master butcher in long-sleeved kimono fascinating the world 56 views
- Neko-chigura cat cradles becoming increasingly popular among cats and cat lovers in Japan 55 views
- Candy apples contributing to reducing food losses 51 views
- Sennen Akari Festival: 20,000 bamboo lanterns emit warm glow in Hita City, Oita Prefecture 50 views
- Fruit cultivation on small plots in Yamanashi Prefecture nurtures biodiversity 49 views
- One cherry tomato “tree” bearing 40,000 shining fruits at a time in Mihama Town, Fukui Prefecture 45 views
- It’s mysterious circles in Japan! Drone captures circles of trees 43 views
- New vending machines in Tokyo Station offering you nice relaxing experience with tea in chabacco, not tobacco! 37 views